Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
322_10906.jpg ThumbnailsIMG 8640ThumbnailsIMG 8640ThumbnailsIMG 8640ThumbnailsIMG 8640

⇧ Go to 21-25 Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital
Title, side B
Same
Address
111 S. Grant Avenue
Columbus, 43215
Location
In front of Grant Medical Center, 111 S. Grant Ave., corner of 6th and State Street
Latitude
39.9608800
Longitude
-82.9921410
Subjects
Columbus, Hospitals

Picture Details

Title
Starling Medical College
Caption
Established in 1849, Starling Medical College/St. Francis Hospital was significant as it was the first institution in the United States, governed by a single board of trustees, designed to combine patient care and clinical teaching in the same building. The Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis served the hospital during its existence. Starling Medical College was the forerunner of The Ohio State University College of Medicine, and St. Francis Hospital continued as a teaching hospital until it closed in 1955 and was later razed in 1957 (AL07683).