Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

116-25 Worthington Historic District

106265_137649.jpg 81-25 Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA Thumbnails116-25 Worthington Historic District (back)81-25 Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA Thumbnails116-25 Worthington Historic District (back)81-25 Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA Thumbnails116-25 Worthington Historic District (back)81-25 Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA Thumbnails116-25 Worthington Historic District (back)

Side A: Worthington Historic District. Worthington was founded in 1803 by the Scioto Company, settlers from Connecticut, and named after Thomas Worthington, a major proponent of Ohio statehood. The original plat included a 3 ½ acre village green bounded on the east by 1 ½ acre school and church lots. The green was surrounded by 160 residential and commercial lots, each measuring ¾ of an acre. By 1812, Worthington was a finalist for designation as the capital of Ohio. Side B: Same. The Worthington Historic District has evolved over more than 200 years from the center of a small village to the hub of a suburban community. The district includes numerous architectural styles: Federal, Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Queen Anne, American Four Square, Colonial Revival, Cape Cod, and vernacular styles. The Worthington Historic District, framed by North, South, Morning, and Evening Streets, encompasses the original village. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.