Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

109-25 Marker Close-up

106114_123043.jpg Thumbnails109-25 Marker ContextThumbnails109-25 Marker ContextThumbnails109-25 Marker ContextThumbnails109-25 Marker ContextThumbnails109-25 Marker ContextThumbnails109-25 Marker ContextThumbnails109-25 Marker Context

Side A: Campbell Memorial Park. James E. Campbell was governor of the State of Ohio from 1890-1892. From 1913-1924, he served as president of the Ohio Archaeological and Historical Society, which later became the Ohio Historical Society. His daughter Jessie Campbell Coons named Campbell Memorial Park for him in 1929 after educator Minnie R. Shrum deeded the land for the Shrum Indian Mound to the Ohio Historical Society. The park and mound were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. Side B: The Adena Culture. Native Americans of the Adena culture were some of Ohio's first known settlers. They lived in the upper and middle Ohio Valley during the late Archaic and Early Woodland periods, roughly 1000 B.C.-100 A.D. The Adena people were hunters, gatherers, traders, and farmers. They carved effigy figures, made ceramic pots, built extensive houses, and developed significant burial mounds. These mounds were made of earth, stone, remains of deceased members, and token objects, and were built on uplands near major waterways such as the mound here near the Scioto River.