Side A: Historic Mifflin. Mifflin was founded in 1816. Originally known as Petersburg, the name was changed in 1827 in honor of the settlers that moved here from Mifflin Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. The first village jailhouse and crossroad watering trough are located here, on the grounds of the historic St. Michael Lutheran Church. Organized in 1835, the church built this house of worship in 1890. As early as 1810, stagecoaches traveled Mifflin's main thoroughfare between Wooster and Mansfield, stopping at the watering trough, known for "the best spring water in Ohio". In 1925, the trough was removed to allow room for the construction of the Lincoln Highway built in 1928. A Lincoln Highway "L" marker stands in the village today, in its original location, directing motorists eastbound. Side B: Same. The end of prohibition in 1933 brought three taverns to the village. With that fact, along with the population increase and social activities brought about by the construction of the Charles Mill Dam in 1934, the need arose for a jail. Both the watering trough and jailhouse were restored and relocated to this site in 2010, and are maintained by the village of Mifflin. Other historic facts: John Chapman, also know as Johnny Appleseed, traveled the area in 1812 warning settlers of the Native American massacres of the Copus, Zimmer, and Ruffner families. Monuments dedicated to those families are located in the area. In 1897, inventor of the automobile self-starter, Charles F. Kettering was the Mifflin schoolmaster. In 1904, Kettering was instrumental in the formation of the Mifflin-Widowville Telephone Company.