Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subjects Courthouses + Washington Court House /

1-24 Fayette County Courthouse

689_3238.jpg 1-24 Marker - Courtsey of Laura HerronThumbnails1-24 Fayette County Courthouse 1-24 Marker - Courtsey of Laura HerronThumbnails1-24 Fayette County Courthouse 1-24 Marker - Courtsey of Laura HerronThumbnails1-24 Fayette County Courthouse 1-24 Marker - Courtsey of Laura HerronThumbnails1-24 Fayette County Courthouse

⇧ Go to Washington Court House Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Winchester's Camp No. 2
Title, side B
Preston Island
Address
Across the road from 1016 East River Drive
Defiance, 43512
Location
At a small pullout on the S side of the road
Latitude
41.2897830
Longitude
-84.3466330

Picture Details

Title
Fayette County Courthouse
Caption
The Eclectic-style Fayette County courthouse was designed by architect David W. Gibbs and was completed in 1885. Three murals in the lobby outside the courtroom were painted by Archibald Willard, who painted the Spirit of '76. The first mural, Spirit of the U. S. Mail depicts a winged woman holding a bundle of letters in her left hand and a single envelope in the other hand that bears the inscription "A. M. Willard. . . , Cleveland, Ohio." The Spirit of Electricity portrays a woman floating above a body of water bearing a torch in her right hand. The Spirit of the Telegraph is pictured as a winged woman holding a length of telegraph wire (Om3119_001).