Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

62-31 The Marker

1035_115036.jpg ThumbnailsMarker 62-31ThumbnailsMarker 62-31ThumbnailsMarker 62-31ThumbnailsMarker 62-31ThumbnailsMarker 62-31ThumbnailsMarker 62-31ThumbnailsMarker 62-31

Side A: Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati. Founded by Saint Elizabeth Bayley Seton in Maryland in 1809, the Sisters of Charity arrived in Cincinnati in 1829 to open a school and an orphanage, becoming the first permanent establishment of Catholic sisters in Ohio. In 1852 the group separated from its Maryland roots to form a diocesan community and called themselves the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati. The sisters later served as nurses in the Civil War as well as operated and staffed a number of Catholic elementary and secondary schools. As membership grew, their ministries and educational, health care, and social service institutions expanded in Cincinnati and elsewhere, including out of state. They include the Good Samaritan Hospital, College of Mount St. Joseph, St. Joseph Infant and Maternity Home, Santa Maria Social Service Agency, and Seton High School in Cincinnati and Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton. Mount St. Joseph has served as the motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity since 1884. Side B: Same. Same