Side A: Woodward High School. William and Abigail Cutter Woodward founded Woodward High School, the first public high school west of the Allegheny Mountains, on this site October 24, 1831. Concerned that the poor of Cincinnati had no avenues for education, the Woodwards donated land, time, funding, and expertise to this venture that brought the arts and sciences to "those who have not the means of procuring such advantages themselves." Notables include Dr. Joseph Ray, principal, 1851-1855, author of several popular mathematics texts; Professor William McGuffey, author of the well-known readers and spellers; and William Howard Taft, Class of 1874, former U.S. President. From 1856-1863, the home of Levi and Catherine Coffin was also located on this site. Both were legendary abolitionishts who helped enslaved people escape to freedom in Canada. Levi is often referred to as the "President of the Underground Railroad." Side B: School for Creative and Performing Arts. Since 1976, this site has been home to the School for Creative and Performing Arts, the first, oldest, and, in 2003, still the only school of its scope and breadth in the world. Founded in 1973, SCPA is a public high school for grades 4-12, offering a complete college preparatory academic curriculum combined with a pre-professional, career path training in eight arts majors--Dance, Drama, Instrumental Music, Music Theater, Technical Theater, Visual Arts, Vocal Music, and Writing. Created as a magnet school to achieve equality in education for all students, the school's mission is to provide children who excel in the arts an education that will help them achieve their dreams.