Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

53-31 Spring Grove Cemetery & Arboretum

930_138486.jpg Thumbnails53-31 Dexter Mausoleum in Spring Grove CemeteryThumbnails53-31 Dexter Mausoleum in Spring Grove CemeteryThumbnails53-31 Dexter Mausoleum in Spring Grove CemeteryThumbnails53-31 Dexter Mausoleum in Spring Grove CemeteryThumbnails53-31 Dexter Mausoleum in Spring Grove CemeteryThumbnails53-31 Dexter Mausoleum in Spring Grove CemeteryThumbnails53-31 Dexter Mausoleum in Spring Grove Cemetery

Side A: Spring Grove Cemetery & Arboretum. Spring Grove received its charter by an act of the Ohio Legislature in January 1845. Motivated by crowded conditions of small cemeteries created by the cholera epidemics of the 1830s and 1840s, the Cincinnati Horticultural Society formed a cemetery association in 1844 to find a location for a rural cemetery. Under the guidance of Robert Buchanan, local attorney Salmon P. Chase drafted the charter that was granted, and Spring Grove, consisting of 166 acres designed with a natural setting embellished with shrubbery, flowers, trees, and walks, was dedicated on August 28, 1845. A leader in cemetery design and the landscape "lawn plan" concept, Spring Grove officially changed its name to Spring Grove Cemetery & Arboretum in 1987. Side B: Same. Same