Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

25-31 Sign for community center

572_110210.jpg 25-31 Marker and community centerThumbnails7-28 The setting Jul 0725-31 Marker and community centerThumbnails7-28 The setting Jul 0725-31 Marker and community centerThumbnails7-28 The setting Jul 0725-31 Marker and community centerThumbnails7-28 The setting Jul 0725-31 Marker and community centerThumbnails7-28 The setting Jul 0725-31 Marker and community centerThumbnails7-28 The setting Jul 0725-31 Marker and community centerThumbnails7-28 The setting Jul 07

Side A: Civic Organizations in Hazelwood (1941-2000). Civic organizations played pivotal roles in the development of the residential community of Hazelwood, founded as a subdivision of Blue Ash in 1888. The Hazelwood Civic Association, initially established as the Brothers Civic Society in 1941, addressed community needs by working for public improvements and promoting civic relations through social events and educational programs. Efforts by the HCA led to the construction of a new civic center and the introduction of the Boy and Girl Scouts and other programs that were previously unavailable to African-American children. Hazelwood's deterioration and the threat of encroaching industrial development led to the formation of the Hazelwood Improvement Corporation in 1968. The HIC, acting as an agent of the city of Blue Ash, helped to upgrade housing, pave roads, build new homes to ensure a residential nature, install water and sewage systems, and erect streetlights. In 1997, the Hazelwood Community Association was organized to assist residents during Hazelwood's transition to a racially integrated community. Side B: Same. Same