Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

24-31 Facade of Museum

565_115308.jpg 24-31 Looking WestThumbnails24-31 Taft Museum of Art24-31 Looking WestThumbnails24-31 Taft Museum of Art24-31 Looking WestThumbnails24-31 Taft Museum of Art24-31 Looking WestThumbnails24-31 Taft Museum of Art24-31 Looking WestThumbnails24-31 Taft Museum of Art24-31 Looking WestThumbnails24-31 Taft Museum of Art24-31 Looking WestThumbnails24-31 Taft Museum of Art

Side A: Taft Museum of Art. This Federal house was begun about 1820 for Martin Baum (1765-1831), one of Cincinnati's early merchants. Art patron and abolitionist Nicholas Longworth (1782-1863) lived here for more than thirty years and commissioned the notable landscape murals in the foyer painted by African-American artist Robert S. Duncanson (1821-1872). Iron magnate David Sinton (1808-1900), the subsequent owner, bequeathed the house to his daughter Anna Sinton Taft (1852?-1931). She and her husband Charles Phelps Taft (1843-1929), older half-brother of William Howard Taft (1857-1930), who accepted his party's nomination for president from the portico in 1908, assembled the acclaimed art collection displayed here. Bequeathed to the people of Cincinnati in 1927, the Taft Museum of Art opened to the public in 1932. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973. Side B: Same. Same