Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

10-31 REAR OF MARKER

284_120799.jpg 10-31 FRONT OF MARKERThumbnails10-31 ITS AT A BUSY INTERSECTION10-31 FRONT OF MARKERThumbnails10-31 ITS AT A BUSY INTERSECTION10-31 FRONT OF MARKERThumbnails10-31 ITS AT A BUSY INTERSECTION10-31 FRONT OF MARKERThumbnails10-31 ITS AT A BUSY INTERSECTION10-31 FRONT OF MARKERThumbnails10-31 ITS AT A BUSY INTERSECTION10-31 FRONT OF MARKERThumbnails10-31 ITS AT A BUSY INTERSECTION10-31 FRONT OF MARKERThumbnails10-31 ITS AT A BUSY INTERSECTION

Side A: Vorhees Town. In 1794 Abraham Voorhees, a Revolutionary War veteran, brought his family from New Jersey to the Northwest Territory to settle on 640 acres of land, part of the Miami Purchase, for which he paid John Cleves Symmes "533 dollars 30/90ths" in United States Treasury Certificates. By 1798 the town was platted and lots were being sold. Official registration of the plat was completed in 1804, the town's name being changed to Reading at the suggestion of Henry Redinbo, who had moved his family to the area from Reading, Pennsylvania, in 1795. Side B: Plan of the Town of Reading. Plan of the Town of Reading [map of Reading]