Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subjects Villages + Courthouses /

2-28 Chardon Business District

325_3949.jpg 2-28 Geauga County CourthouseThumbnails2-28 Chardon Business District2-28 Geauga County CourthouseThumbnails2-28 Chardon Business District

⇧ Go to Courthouses Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
First Brick Rural Road in U.S.
Title, side B
Same
Address
SW corner of Pearl Road and Olde York Road
Parma Heights, 44130
Location
In small park on the tip of the corner
Latitude
41.3918330
Longitude
-81.7598430

Picture Details

Title
Chardon Business District
Caption
Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 courthouse. Citizens immediately rallied and formed the Chardon Building Company. In August 1868 they contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block using fire-resistant brick. This was one of Rensselaer R. Herrick's (Cleveland Mayor 1879-1882) last construction jobs. The Union Block occupies the northern half of this block of Main Street (AL06624).