Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subjects Courthouses + Chardon /

2-28 Geauga County Courthouse

325_3948.jpg 2-28 The marker back 5/5/2014Thumbnails2-28 Chardon Business District2-28 The marker back 5/5/2014Thumbnails2-28 Chardon Business District2-28 The marker back 5/5/2014Thumbnails2-28 Chardon Business District

⇧ Go to Chardon Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Winchester's Camp No. 2
Title, side B
Preston Island
Address
Across the road from 1016 East River Drive
Defiance, 43512
Location
At a small pullout on the S side of the road
Latitude
41.2897830
Longitude
-84.3466330

Picture Details

Title
Geauga County Courthouse
Caption
L.J. Randall, builder of the Randall Block on Main Street, was contractor for the courthouse; Joseph Ireland (active in Cleveland 1865-1885) was the architect. Looking at the Geauga County Courthouse, note the square tower which changes to an octagon one full story above the roofline. The courthouse's cupola reaches 112 feet, and contains an antique clock mechanism renovated in 1996 by the community and Chapter 28-The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. The bandstand on the village public green is a reconstruction of the 1875 original. The bandstand was dedicated by the community in 1981, and the brick memorial walkway was dedicated in 1993 (AL06623).