Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Geauga County / 1-28 Chardon Business District /

1-28 Chardon Business District

324_3950.jpg 1-28 The marker 5/5/2014Thumbnails1-28 Chardon Business District1-28 The marker 5/5/2014Thumbnails1-28 Chardon Business District

⇧ Go to 1-28 Chardon Business District Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Chardon Business District
Title, side B
Same
Address
129 Main Street
Chardon, 44024
Latitude
41.5816470
Longitude
-81.2039800

Picture Details

Title
Chardon Business District
Caption
Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 courthouse. Citizens immediately rallied and formed the Chardon Building Company. In August 1868 they contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block using fire-resistant brick. This was one of Rensselaer R. Herrick's (Cleveland Mayor 1879-1882) last construction jobs. The Union Block occupies the northern half of this block of Main Street (AL06624).