Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

6-27 Rio Grande

245_104237.jpg ThumbnailsThumbnailsThumbnails

Side A: University of Rio Grande Founders: Nehemiah and Permelia Atwood. This historic marker is on the western boundary of the original 10 acre Rio Grande College Campus, founded and endowed by Nehemiah and Permelia Atwood. The campus was located on the southeast corner of the Atwood Farm. Construction of Atwood Hall and the Boarding Hall began in 1875. The College was organized on November 1, 1875, dedicated on August 29, 1876, and opened for classes on September 13, 1876. Rio Grande College was incorporated as a non-profit educational institution by the State of Ohio on May 30, 1883. Side B: Same. Same