Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

5-27 Ewington Marker

232_104211.jpg Thumbnails5-27 Ewington AcademyThumbnails5-27 Ewington AcademyThumbnails5-27 Ewington Academy

Side A: Ewington Academy. The Ewington Citizens' Literary Institute purchased this site and sponsored the construction of Ewington Academy which opened in 1859. The building, designed by George Ewing, was financed by popular subscription with much labor and materials donated. It provided high school level education to approximately 60 students each year. It ceased operation as an academy in 1901 and then served as an elementary school until about 1947. Ewington Academy was listed on the National Register of Historic Places September, 1982. Side B: Same. Same