Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

7-23 Mural

106047_116377.jpg Thumbnails7-23 Marker SiteThumbnails7-23 Marker SiteThumbnails7-23 Marker SiteThumbnails7-23 Marker SiteThumbnails7-23 Marker Site

Side A: Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals. Canals were an important means of transportation when Carroll was founded in 1829 by William Tong and his brother Oliver, who chose this site because it was where the proposed intersection of the Lancaster Lateral Canal and Ohio-Erie Canal would be constructed. This is the only site in Fairfield County where two canals met and came to be known simply as "the junction" by local residents. Canals became obsolete with the emergence of railroads and the last canal boat passed through Carroll in 1897. Side B: Same. Same