Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

6-22 Sandusky's First Congregation Marker

123_5893.jpg 6-22 MarkerThumbnails6-22 Trinity Methodist Church Cornerstone6-22 MarkerThumbnails6-22 Trinity Methodist Church Cornerstone6-22 MarkerThumbnails6-22 Trinity Methodist Church Cornerstone

Front Text: The Methodist Episcopal Church pioneered organized religion in Perkins Township in 1811, then in Sandusky when the Rev. Alfred Brunson preached the city's first sermon in January, 1818. In 1829 the Methodists built Sandusky's first church, on West Square, and had later churches on the present sites of the Court House and Post Office. This building was begun in 1922, the sanctuary completed in 1958. The Perkins and Sandusky congregations united in 1930. Back Text: Same