Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

18-22 Marker

510_142788.jpg 18-22 Old Post OfficeThumbnails18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office 18-22 Old Post OfficeThumbnails18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office 18-22 Old Post OfficeThumbnails18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office 18-22 Old Post OfficeThumbnails18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office 18-22 Old Post OfficeThumbnails18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office 18-22 Old Post OfficeThumbnails18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office 18-22 Old Post OfficeThumbnails18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office

Side A: Old Sandusky Post Office. This U.S. Post Office building, Sandusky's third, opened in 1927, replacing a smaller building at Columbus Avenue and Market Street. It is notable for its fine Neoclassical-style architecture and its unusual curved portico. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. For sixty years it served as Sandusky's business center, where merchants shipped and received goods and banks transferred money. During this time it also housed local offices for several federal agencies, including U.S. Customs, the National Weather Service, armed forces recruiting, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The U.S. Geological Survey disk embedded in the front steps serves as a benchmark for surveyors and scientists. Closed in 1987, the historic Sandusky Post Office building reopened as a museum in 1990. Side B: Same. Same