Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

9-18 Marker

144_140652.jpg 9-18 Sign at entrance of FrostvilleThumbnails9-18 Marker9-18 Sign at entrance of FrostvilleThumbnails9-18 Marker9-18 Sign at entrance of FrostvilleThumbnails9-18 Marker9-18 Sign at entrance of FrostvilleThumbnails9-18 Marker9-18 Sign at entrance of FrostvilleThumbnails9-18 Marker9-18 Sign at entrance of FrostvilleThumbnails9-18 Marker9-18 Sign at entrance of FrostvilleThumbnails9-18 Marker

Side A: North Olmsted-First Settlement and Schoolhouse. David Stearns, the first permanent settler, built a log cabin near this site on the "ridge" (Lorain Road) in 1816. Stearns was given this land by his father, Elijah, who had bought 1,002 acres from the Olmsted family. This area of North Olmsted was first called Kingston, renamed Lennox in 1823, and Olmsted in 1829. In 1827, Stearns donated his cabin to the community to be used as the first schoolhouse. In 1852 the cabin was moved to Butternut and Dover Center and continued to serve as a school. Side B: Same. Same