Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

4-18 A Closer Look

79_110846.jpg 4-18 Marker #4-18Thumbnails4-18 And Closer4-18 Marker #4-18Thumbnails4-18 And Closer4-18 Marker #4-18Thumbnails4-18 And Closer4-18 Marker #4-18Thumbnails4-18 And Closer

Front Text: The 43-room Tudor mansion represents a fine example of stately homes in Cleveland at the turn of the century and is the last of the "Millionaire Row" homes that once lined Euclid Avenue. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, a world-renowned Cleveland architect, in 1905-06 and completed in 1910 at a cost of $1,200,000. Following Samuel Mather's death in 1931, the building was occupied by the Cleveland Institute of Music until 1940 then by the Cleveland Automobile Club until 1967 when it was purchased by The Cleveland State University. The mansion was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on February 20, 1973. Back Text: Same