Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

28-18 Cahoon Memorial Park

605_109010.jpg 26-18 MarkerThumbnails28-18 Cahoon Memorial Park looking NW26-18 MarkerThumbnails28-18 Cahoon Memorial Park looking NW26-18 MarkerThumbnails28-18 Cahoon Memorial Park looking NW

Side A: Cahoon Memorial Park. Joseph Cahoon brought his family from Vergennes, Vermont, to Dover Township in 1810, and they established themselves as the first permanent settlers in what would become Bay Village, Ohio. The Cahoon house, called Rose Hill, was built in 1818 and replaced the log cabin the family built upon their arrival. Granddaughter Ida Maria Cahoon bequeathed her family's 115-acre homestead as the Cahoon Memorial Park to the citizens of Bay Village in 1917. In accordance with the family's wish, Rose Hill serves the community as a museum and library. The Reuben Osborn House (1815), thought to be the oldest frame house between Cleveland and Lorain, and the Community House (1882), formerly the Cahoon barn, join Rose Hill on the grounds of the memorial park. Providing a variety of recreational and educational activities, Cahoon Memorial Park is the center of community activity in Bay Village. Side B: Same. Same