Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

The Clague House

106296_140167.jpg Thumbnails113-18 MarkerThumbnails113-18 MarkerThumbnails113-18 MarkerThumbnails113-18 MarkerThumbnails113-18 MarkerThumbnails113-18 MarkerThumbnails113-18 Marker

Side A: Clague Family Homestead. The Clague House and barn serve the community as a museum, history library, and a community theater. It is also a reminder of the area's agrarian past and is a memorial to the philanthropic generosity of the Clagues. Robert Clague first came to Dover Township from the Isle of Man in 1829. Clague briefly returned to his native land; in 1837 he arrived back in Dover with his wife and infant. The couple raised nine children on the 78 acre farm. The Italianate structure, built in 1876, is the third home constructed on the Clague property. In 1926, surviving children Walter and Sophronia donated the farm to Dover Township for the creation of Clague Memorial Park. Side B: Same. Same