Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subject Pottery /

13-15 Lotus Ware Ewer

695_4209.jpg 13-15 Knowles, Taylor, and Knowles PotteryThumbnails13-15 The Pottery Capital of America Marker13-15 Knowles, Taylor, and Knowles PotteryThumbnails13-15 The Pottery Capital of America Marker13-15 Knowles, Taylor, and Knowles PotteryThumbnails13-15 The Pottery Capital of America Marker13-15 Knowles, Taylor, and Knowles PotteryThumbnails13-15 The Pottery Capital of America Marker

⇧ Go to Pottery Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
Morning Dawn Lodge No. 7 Free and Accepted Masons
Title, side B
Same
Address
Across from 300 W. Third Street
Gallipolis, 45631
Location
SE corner of 3rd Avenue and Court Street
Latitude
38.8075000
Longitude
-82.2080880

Picture Details

Title
Lotus Ware Ewer
Caption
The East Liverpool company of Knowles, Taylor and Knowles produced this Etruscan-style ewer in the 1890s. It measures 9 by 11 inches (14 by 24.5 cm). The ewer is a piece of Lotus Ware, a type of porcelain developed by the company in 1892. It was the first American-produced porcelain that could rival the well-established European companies. Lotus Ware won top awards at the World's Fair held in Chicago in 1893. The popular porcelain was advertised as "the whitest, purest, thinnest and handsomest art china for decorating manufactured." Lotus Ware was manufactured from 1892 to 1896. It was expensive to make, because the fragile china frequently broke in the heat of the kiln. Workers sometimes took pieces of unbroken Lotus Ware home with them, due to its value and beauty. Isaac W. Knowles opened a small pottery in East Liverpool in 1854. In 1870, John Taylor and Homer S. Knowles joined the company. The operation expanded during the next two decades. By the 1880s, Knowles, Taylor and Knowles was producing translucent china. By 1890, the company was the largest manufacturer of white granite plain and decorative ware in the nation (Om1381_001).