Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
Home / Subjects East Liverpool + Pottery /

13-15 Lotus Ware Ewer

695_4209.jpg 13-15 Marker 5-19-12Thumbnails13-15 The Pottery Capital of America Marker13-15 Marker 5-19-12Thumbnails13-15 The Pottery Capital of America Marker13-15 Marker 5-19-12Thumbnails13-15 The Pottery Capital of America Marker13-15 Marker 5-19-12Thumbnails13-15 The Pottery Capital of America Marker

⇧ Go to Pottery Marker Home


Marker Details

Title, side A
The Homestead
Title, side B
Same
Address
791 Farmview Rd
Bidwell, 45614
Location
Bob Evans Farm
Latitude
38.8824790
Longitude
-82.3672660

Picture Details

Title
Lotus Ware Ewer
Caption
The East Liverpool company of Knowles, Taylor and Knowles produced this Etruscan-style ewer in the 1890s. It measures 9 by 11 inches (14 by 24.5 cm). The ewer is a piece of Lotus Ware, a type of porcelain developed by the company in 1892. It was the first American-produced porcelain that could rival the well-established European companies. Lotus Ware won top awards at the World's Fair held in Chicago in 1893. The popular porcelain was advertised as "the whitest, purest, thinnest and handsomest art china for decorating manufactured." Lotus Ware was manufactured from 1892 to 1896. It was expensive to make, because the fragile china frequently broke in the heat of the kiln. Workers sometimes took pieces of unbroken Lotus Ware home with them, due to its value and beauty. Isaac W. Knowles opened a small pottery in East Liverpool in 1854. In 1870, John Taylor and Homer S. Knowles joined the company. The operation expanded during the next two decades. By the 1880s, Knowles, Taylor and Knowles was producing translucent china. By 1890, the company was the largest manufacturer of white granite plain and decorative ware in the nation (Om1381_001).