Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

Weymouth 2

Weymouth 2.jpeg ThumbnailsWeymouth 1bThumbnailsWeymouth 1bThumbnailsWeymouth 1bThumbnailsWeymouth 1bThumbnailsWeymouth 1bThumbnailsWeymouth 1bThumbnailsWeymouth 1b

Side A: First Congregational Church of Weymouth. On January 19, 1835, Reverend Steven Barnes led sixteen men and women to establish the Weymouth Congregational Church at the home of Lathrop Seymour. From its beginnings, the congregation opposed slavery. In 1848, it adopted resolutions condemning the "peculiar institution" and asserting that Black people are "our brother[s] 'made one blood' with us." In 1853, the church hosted public meetings featuring the crusading abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison. A notable example of Greek Revival architecture, the "meetinghouse" itself was built in 1835-'36 and has become the oldest extant church building in Medina County. The porch with Doric columns was added in 1854. The Historical American Building Survey documented the building in 1936. Struggling as a Congregational denomination, the sactuary became the home of the non-denominational Weymouth Community Church in 1920, remaining so until 2018. Side B: same. same