Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

Marker 18-83 rear

Marker 18-83 rear.jpg Marker 18-83 frontThumbnailsMarker 18-83 frontThumbnailsMarker 18-83 frontThumbnailsMarker 18-83 frontThumbnailsMarker 18-83 frontThumbnailsMarker 18-83 frontThumbnailsMarker 18-83 frontThumbnails

Side A: Union Township Town Hall. The Union Township Hall was a center of community life from the time of its construction around 1907. The hall included the offices of township government, a community hall, and club meeting rooms, a rarer combination in the 21st century. Local government and services occupied the first floor. The second floor "opera house" retains many original features, including the stage and stage backdrops. The hall hosted many types of entertainment, including church choirs and the Knights of Pythias Band. Leaving the township's possession, the hall was used by various owners for a church, art studio, and bed and breakfast.(Continued on other side) Side B: Same. (Continued from other side) The Wilson & Sons Manufacturing Company in South Lebanon was in part responsible for the existence of the hall. The company, which held the patent on their double-seamed powder keg, sold Union Township the lot for the building and donated another portion. James Wilson and his son-in-law, James T. McClelland were Union Township Trustees. The Wilson concern was on the South bank of the Little Miami River. On the opposite bank was Ahimaaz King's Great Western Powder Company. These were two of the largest manufacturing companies of their kind in the late 19th century.