Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

Marker 8-50 setting

Marker 8-50 setting.JPG 7-50 Friends Burying GroundsThumbnails7-50 Friends Burying GroundsThumbnails7-50 Friends Burying GroundsThumbnails7-50 Friends Burying GroundsThumbnails7-50 Friends Burying GroundsThumbnails7-50 Friends Burying GroundsThumbnails7-50 Friends Burying GroundsThumbnails

Side A: Friends Burying Grounds, 1807-1843. The Friends Burying Grounds, once located here on Lot 17 in the Village of Damascus, is the oldest cemetery in Butler Township, Columbiana County. Expansion of the Friends Church necessitated the re-location of the Friends Burying Grounds. No markers were found to identify the graves of the 118 persons exhumed here. The exhumed remains were re-interred in the Damascus Cemetery on Valley Road, one block east of this location. The exhumation (2001-2002) was directed by Prof. Dr. John White of Youngstown State University, assisted by staff, students, and volunteers. Side B: Same. Same