Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

Dayton Woman's Club

Dayton Woman's Club.JPG ThumbnailsIMG 4672ThumbnailsIMG 4672ThumbnailsIMG 4672ThumbnailsIMG 4672ThumbnailsIMG 4672ThumbnailsIMG 4672ThumbnailsIMG 4672

Side A: Dayton Woman's Club. Community leader Robert Steele built the house that became the Dayton Woman's Club between 1845 and 1850. Napoleon Bonaparte Darst, a wealthy merchant, bought the residence in 1861. After the Civil War he refurbished the structure, updating it to the then-popular Second Empire style. In 1916, Darst's heirs sold the house to the newly-formed Dayton Woman's Club. Mrs. Marie Kumler (1856-1925), first president of the Club and the Dayton Federation of Women's Clubs led efforts to raise the $25,000 to purchase the property. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and the Club celebrated 100 years here in 2016. Side B: Same. Same