Side A: Hamilton Airport - Hogan Field. The Hogan Family owned and operated what was known as the Hamilton Airport for over 52 years. Airplane owner and pilot, Carl "Pop" Muhlberger and aviation enthusiast and farmer, Joe Hogan, co-founded the airport in July 1929. Muhlberger taught Joe to fly and in return, Joe managed and maintained the field. During the Great Depression, Muhlberger could not afford to operate the airport, closing in July 1932. With financial backing from Joe's older brother, Charles, and their father, William, the family purchased and reopened the airport. Running the airport was a family affair. Joe taught his brothers, Bill, Bernie, and Art to fly. They raised money to run the airport by barnstorming, sightseeing flights, and flying lessons. Sisters, Mary Ann, Katie, and Loretta (Sauer), also flew. They, along with their mother Emma, helped run the airport and its restaurant. (Continued on other side) Side B: Same. (Continued from other side) The airport expanded after the passage of the Civil Pilot Training Act of 1939 and the Hogans trained pilots in partnership with Miami University. Additionally, the War Department leased the airport for pilot training under the Civil Aviation Authority. The Hogans instructed more than 300 pilots for service during WWII. After the war thru the 1970s, the brothers continued improving the airport to meet local demand by lengthening the runway twice, building hangers, and installing runway lights and radio navigation equipment. By 1974, more than 200 aircraft were based at the airport with operations of 74,000 general, private, and charter flights. As private owners, the Hogans could not obtain government grants and loans for further renovations and sold the airport to the Butler County Commissioners and the cities of Hamilton and Fairfield in 1985. The airport eventually became known as the Butler County Regional Airport-Hogan Field.