Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church

Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church.jpg Thumbnails4-44 Macedonia MarkerThumbnails4-44 Macedonia MarkerThumbnails4-44 Macedonia MarkerThumbnails4-44 Macedonia MarkerThumbnails4-44 Macedonia MarkerThumbnails4-44 Macedonia MarkerThumbnails4-44 Macedonia Marker

Side A: Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church. The present structure for the Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church was built in 1849 on Macedonia Ridge north of Burlington, an abolitionist sanctuary for escaped and freed slaves since 1799. It was built by the existing Baptist congregation and a group of 37 freed slaves who had arrived in Burlington from Virginia. The Baptist congregation in Macedonia had organized in 1811-1813 and practiced their faith in their homes and later in a small building with a bell tower made of sticks. The 1849 church was the religious and social focal point for the black community and became the "Mother Church" for approximately eight Baptist churches that exist in Ohio and West Virginia. The Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Side B: Same. Same