Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

20180926094726-651f3124-la

20180926094726-651f3124-la.jpg ThumbnailsDSC 0598ThumbnailsDSC 0598ThumbnailsDSC 0598ThumbnailsDSC 0598ThumbnailsDSC 0598

Side A: Clark Stone House. The Clark Stone House, constructed around 1801 by James Clark (1765-1852), is one of the oldest standing stone houses in Ohio. Clark, who served as a drummer in the Battle of Yorktown (1781), came with his family to Anderson Township in 1797 and bought this land along Clough Creek. Clark was a mathematician, taught school, ran a distillery, operated an orchard nursery and served as a justice of the peace, a judge, and a state legislator. The two-story dressed limestone house was sold to the Leuser family in 1864, was acquired by the related Messmer family in 1923, and sold to Anderson Township in 1995. Side B: Same. Same