Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

Marker 13-31 front

Marker 13-31 front.jpg 13-31 The SettingThumbnailsMarker 13-31 rear13-31 The SettingThumbnailsMarker 13-31 rear13-31 The SettingThumbnailsMarker 13-31 rear13-31 The SettingThumbnailsMarker 13-31 rear13-31 The SettingThumbnailsMarker 13-31 rear13-31 The SettingThumbnailsMarker 13-31 rear13-31 The SettingThumbnailsMarker 13-31 rear

Side A: Maple Knoll Village. A group of concerned Cincinnati women organized, in 1855, The Protestant Home for the Friendless and Female Guardian Society as a private, not-for-profit maternity home for destitute women and children. These public minded social leaders were aware that Cincinnati had grown beyond the time when the poor or unfortunate were cared for by their neighbors. The Home, which was funded through bequests and personal donations, was founded to care for poor mothers and babies, unmarried pregnant women, wanderers and strangers in the city, and to promote adoptions. (Continued on other side) Side B: Same. (Continued from other side) Originally located at 433 West Court Street, the Home moved to this site on Springfield Pike in 1926. Later the name changed to the Maple Knoll Home and Maternity Hospital. In the 1970s, this charity merged with the Widows' and Old Men's Home and the Bodmann Widows' Home to form Southwestern Ohio Seniors' Services, Inc., parent corporation of Maple Knoll Village.