Side A: Slifers Presbyterian Church. Slifers Presbyterian Church is on land deeded to the local faith community by Philip and Elizabeth Slifer on December 2, 1816. Rev. Thomas Winters of the German Reformed Church and Rev. John C. Dill of the Evangelical Lutheran Church ministered to people of German descent who settled in the area. During the "cold plague" (a malaria-like malady) of 1819, they ministered to the sick and grieving, renewing the faith of many. The community pooled their limited resources and began building their first log church in 1819. It was completed in 1825 and expanded later that year as the congregations grew. They erected their first brick church in 1858 for a cost of $500. Pastors conducted services for both Lutheran and Reformed congregations in German. Side B: Slifers Presbyterian Church. Architect William Blum of Dayton and local builder Charles Routzahn erected the present church in 1896. The combined congregations celebrated the 10oth anniversary of Slifers on September 25, 1919. Many attended and enjoyed dinner on the churchÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s front lawn. At the time of the centennial, Rev. E.D. Ewing was the Reformed minister and Rev. V.B. Christy, who served for 33 years, mir:iistered to the Lutherans. After 134 years as a combined German Reformed and Evangelical Lutheran Church, the members voted in 1953 to become a Presbyterian congregation. The church added the Christian Education Building in 1962 and purchased eight acres across Clayton Road in 1967. Slifers Church has been the spiritual home for generations of the faithful in this community.