Side A: Fowlers Mill Historic District. Fowlers Mill (originally Fowler's Mills) developed around a group of mills built in the 1830s on the Chagrin River. Opportunities from these mills led to Fowlers Mill becoming the commercial center of Munson Township. From the 1830s into the twentieth century, the community expanded with construction of churches, a post office, township hall, stores, hotel, blacksmith shop, schools, and houses built in such styles as Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, and Queen Anne. This type of community center was common in rural, nineteenth century America, but rarely survives with so much original fabric intact. On Mayfield Road, the Disciple Church was built in 1842. East of the church, the brick central school built in 1913 replaced earlier one-room schoolhouses. The gristmill is the only mill standing in Geauga County. The cemetery contains burials dating from the 1830s. The Fowler's Mills Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. Side B: A.B. Carlson Building. As the community of Fowlers Mill (originally Fowler's Mills) grew, institutions and businesses clustered at the crossroads, including two general stores, a church, and the Munson Township Hall by 1900. Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Carlson built this store and residence on the northeast corner in 1916, after the original building burned in 1915. That building had been constructed as a tavern sometime before 1850. In 1890, Albert Harper bought the tavern, by then called a hotel, used the rear for his residence, and converted the front section to a general store. Harper later added a hall that served as a community center for dances, grange meetings, and other social gatherings. When the Carlson's rebuilt the store and residence after the fire they rebuilt the hall as well. Munson Township celebrated its centennial on July 27, 1916 with dinner and a dance in Carlson's new hall.