Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

105-25 American Federation of Labor since 1881 at previous location 9/7/13

106048_140336.jpg ThumbnailsA non-official historical marker located on S. 4th Street, S of E. Town StreetThumbnailsA non-official historical marker located on S. 4th Street, S of E. Town StreetThumbnailsA non-official historical marker located on S. 4th Street, S of E. Town StreetThumbnailsA non-official historical marker located on S. 4th Street, S of E. Town Street

Side A: American Federation of Labor Since 1881. One this site, December 10, 1886, the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Union merged with the trade unionists of the Knights of Labor to create the American Federation of Labor. Delegates elected Samuel Gompers president and dedicated the Federation to improving the life of America's working men and women. The A.F.L. recognizes November 15, 1881, as its anniversary date to honor the origin and legacy of F.O.T.L.U. Side B: United Mine Workers of America. On this site, January 25, 1890, delegates from the National Progressive Union and the Knights of Labor District Trades Assembly 135 met in convention at old City Hall and founded the United Mine Workers of America. The merger ended years of feuding and divisiveness among miners, and the UMWA began a campaign to bring better wages, safe working conditions, and the eight-hour day to the coal fields of America. The UMWA's national headquarters was at High and Chestnut streets until 1898.