Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

Marker 2-77 setting

Marker 2-77 setting.JPG 2-77 ThumbnailsTallmadge Church sign2-77 ThumbnailsTallmadge Church sign2-77 ThumbnailsTallmadge Church sign2-77 ThumbnailsTallmadge Church sign2-77 ThumbnailsTallmadge Church sign2-77 ThumbnailsTallmadge Church sign2-77 ThumbnailsTallmadge Church sign

Side A: First Congregational Church. Tallmadge was established in 1807 by David Bacon as a Congregational community. In 1821 local landowners donated timber to build this church, designed and constructed by one of Ohio's first architects, Col. Lemuel Porter. Dedicated on September 8, 1825, the structure is considered to be a perfect example of the pure Connecticut-type of Federal architecture. It is the oldest Ohio church to be continuously occupied as a place of worship. Side B: Same. Same