Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker
[ stop the slideshow ]

Marker 3-5 center photo inset

Marker 3-5 center photo inset.jpg Thumbnails3-5 Wider View looking towards highwayThumbnails3-5 Wider View looking towards highwayThumbnails3-5 Wider View looking towards highwayThumbnails3-5 Wider View looking towards highwayThumbnails3-5 Wider View looking towards highwayThumbnails3-5 Wider View looking towards highwayThumbnails3-5 Wider View looking towards highway

Side A: Hisylvania Coal Company Mine No. 22. Approximately 150 feet east stood the Hisylvania Coal Company Mine No. 22 tipple, in use from 1912 to 1925. The company name was derived from combining "Ohio" and "Pennsylvania," home states of its founders. Coal came from the mine portal in small railcars, was cleaned and sized in the tipple, and loaded into gondolas for shipment. The Mine No. 22 tipple had a brick and concrete frame, likely the only one of this type in Ohio. When demolished in 2000, it was one of the last tipples still standing as a reminder of Ohio's 1880-1920 coal boom and the Hocking Valley coal field's contribution during this era. Side B: Same. Same