Remarkable Ohio

Counties

Below is a complete listing of all Ohio Historical Markers. To find a detailed marker listing including text, photographs, and locations, click on a county below. Our listing is updated by the markers program as new markers are installed and older markers are reported damaged or missing.

ALERT: This marker is damaged and in storage awaiting retirement or repair.

12-71 Southern School

Side A: Responding to calls for equality in education for the city’s African-American children, the Chillicothe Board of Education established Southern School here in 1874. Led by Principal Joseph D. Hackley and teachers Sara K. Fidler, Jennie Gilmore, George Hackley, and Annie E. Nickens, the school was the first in Chillicothe dedicated to educating African-American students in grades one through six. During its eighty-two year history, Southern School attracted devoted educators, including Anna Hayes, Cora Medley Stewart, and Eva Warner Price (the school’s last principal), who each served more than thirty years. Following the 1954 Supreme Court decision in Brown v. Board of Education, which held that segregated schools were unconstitutional, the Citizens’ Committee for Southern School petitioned the board of education to end the practice here. In 1955, the board moved the Southern School’s primary grades to Central School. The final day for Southern School was June 1, 1956.
Side B: Same
Sponsors: CHILLICOTHE & ROSS COUNTY 2003 YOUTH COMMISSION, GANNETT FOUNDATION / CHILLICOTHE GaZETTE, ROSS COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, THE OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Chillicothe, 
OH, 
Latitude: 39.3278406
Longitude: -82.9838999