Home / Propose a Marker
Propose a Marker
Is there a significant piece of history in your community that you would like to commemorate with an Ohio Historical Marker? Do you have a significant community anniversary coming up in the next five years? Individuals, public agencies, or private organizations are encouraged to nominate historic properties, persons, and events of significance on a local, state, or national level for the Ohio Historical Marker Program.
Criteria of Significance
Marker nominations should address at least one important aspect of Ohio’s historical, natural, or physical development in one of the following areas: history, architecture, culture, archaeology, natural history, or folklore.
All marker subjects must embody one or more of the following:
- Be associated with events that have made a significant contribution to broad patterns of history;
- Be associated with persons no longer living who have made significant contributions to patterns of history and culture;
- Embody the distinctive characteristics of a type, style, period, method of construction, architecture, or represent the work of a master;
- Yield, or be likely to yield, information important in prehistory or history;
- Be associated with groups who have made distinctive and significant contributions to history;
- Embody characteristics of the state representing significant aspects of the physical or natural history of the earth and its life;
- Represent popular stories or myths that, although not verifiable, have a history themselves and contribute to our understanding of local or state history and culture.
Application Process and Annual Deadline
Applications are required to obtain an Ohio Historical Marker. While the submission of an application does not guarantee that a marker will be awarded, the Ohio Historical Markers Program appreciates your efforts to provide all of the information requested.
The application deadline is May 1 every year without exception.
- The program runs on an annual July-June cycle.
- Please honor this date and make note of the how we handle applications received at other times of the year on the introduction or home page to Remarkable Ohio.
- The current application form can be downloaded here. Be sure to check the date on the last page to make sure you are using the most recent application.
Cost of a Marker and Marker Grants
The price of a marker varies based upon amount of text and if there are any added photographs or maps. The Local Sponsor is responsible for the purchase price of the marker. Payment is due at the time that final marker text is returned for a signature.
Marker grants are currently available to help fund the purchase of a marker. The marker application includes a grant check-off spot to apply for funding. If interested in one of the available grants, please complete the entire application and be sure to check-off the grant you are seeking. Honestly, a simple check on the application will put your application into consideration for grant funding.
The Ohio History Connection administers the Ohio Historical Marker Program and the Historical Markers Coordinator manages and oversees the application process. Please mail your completed application, with supporting materials, to the address below. Yes, we request a paper over an electronic submission! Submitting a paper application greatly speeds our processing and decision time. To be considered, all applications must be postmarked May 1 or earlier.
Laura Russell, Historical Markers Coordinator
Ohio History Connection
800 East 17th Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43211
QUESTIONS? Be sure to read the "About" Page as many common questions about the application process are included. You are always welcome to phone or email Laura at 614-297-2360 or email@example.com.
DISCLAIMER: Ohio History Connection staff members help to verify historical accuracy and edit the marker text. All parties go to great lengths to ensure that the texts are accurate and markers are deemed to be as accurate as possible at the time of production. Ultimately, however, accuracy rests with the partners and sponsors.