ALERT: The current location of this marker is unknown. If you have any information about this marker's location, please contact The Ohio History Connection. For historical and reference purposes, this listing will remain on our website. If the marker is located, we will update our website.
- Title, side A
- Canal Terminus
- Title, side B
- Text, side A
- The original northernmost lock in a canal system which linked Lake Erie with the Ohio River was located near the foot of LaSalle Street. Indiana's Wabash & Erie Canal (1843-1874) joined Ohio's Miami & Erie Canal (1845-1913) near Defiance and shared the same course to this location. Toledo's Swan Creek side cut became the northern terminus in 1864.
- Text, side B
- Founded in 1835, by the following year Manhattan was a thriving village of 500 inhabitants. It boasted warehouses, docks, a hotel, a post office, a newspaper, and the first bank in Lucas County. Commercial rival, Toledo, won the canal business and Buffalo investors withdrew their support. Manhattan collapsed overnight. The state of Ohio abandoned the Toledo-to-Manhattan canal link in 1864.
- Riverside Hospital, Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission, and The Ohio Historical Society
- 3900 N Summit Street
Toledo, OH 43611
- NE corner of N Summit Street and Erie Street