Home / Lucas County / 17-48 The Glass Capital 
- Title, side A
- The Glass Capital
- Text, side A
- Attracted by the promotion of a civic group, as well as abundant fuel, Edward Drummond Libbey relocated his glass operation from Massachusetts to Toledo in 1888. His company was renown as a producer of fine art glass. Michael J. Owens, a Libbey Superintendent, developed the first fully automatic bottle-making machine in 1903. His invention revolutionized the industry and helped eliminate child labor in glass factories.
- Text, side B
- In 1899 Edward Ford established his quality plate glass factory upriver and developed Rossford as a model company town. Locally developed innovations include glass tubing, sheet window glass, and fiber glass. In the twentieth century Toledo has served as corporate headquarters for Owens-Illinois (1929), Libbey-Owens-Ford (1930), and Owens-Corning Fiberglass (1938).
- Mercy Hospital of Toledo, Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission, and The Ohio Historical Society
- NE of 200 N St. Clair Street
Toledo, OH 43604
- SE corner of N St. Clair St and Madison Ave, N of the fountain in Levis Square Park