Home / Lucas County / 15-48 East Toledo 
ALERT: This marker has been permanently removed. For historical and reference purposes, this listing will remain on our website.
- Title, side A
- East Toledo
- Text, side A
- East Toledo, early home of Ottawa Indians and originally part of Oregon Township, was annexed to the city in 1853. Peter Navarre, fur trader and War of 1812 scout, was a well-known pioneer resident. A post office named Utah was established in 1851 and located on Front Street near Oak Street, then the commercial center of the East Side.
- Text, side B
- Toledo's first public bridge over the Maumee River was a privately financed toll operation which opened in 1865 and joined Cherry and Main streets. A gala celebration in 1872 marked the city's purchase of the bridge and lifting of its tolls. Free access to this vital river crossing stimulated further development and rapid growth of East Toledo.
- St. Charles Hospital, Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission, and The Ohio Historical Society
- Previously In the park on the N side of Main Street at 1st Street