ALERT: This marker has been temporarily removed. We will update our website when we receive additional information.
- Title, side A
- Port Lawrence
- Title, side B
- Fort Industry, 1805
- Text, side A
- This pioneer village, which was united with its downriver rival, Vistula, to be incorporated as Toledo in 1837, was platted by Cincinnati businessmen in 1817. The "Panic" of 1819 caused the enterprise to default. The village was re-platted in 1832. A two-story log warehouse along Swan Creek was the first important structure. The village was named for Captain James Lawrence, War of 1812 naval hero.
- Text, side B
- On this site, July 4, 1805, a treaty was concluded with the chiefs of the Ottawa, Chippewa, Pottawatomie, Shawnee, Muncie, and Delaware tribes. The Indians ceded their title to over 2.7 million acres in the Firelands, now Erie and Huron counties, and the Connecticut Western Reserve. Little else is known about "Fort Industry," which appears as a symbolic blockhouse on Toledo's official seal and flag.
- Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission and The Ohio Historical Society
- Jefferson Avenue
Toledo, OH 43604
- SE corner of N Summit Street and Jefferson Avenue