ALERT: This marker has been damaged and removed. We will update our website when it is re-installed.
- Title, side A
- Flatwood Schoolhouse
- Text, side A
- Descendants of slaves, who may have reached Ohio through the Underground Railroad, and other African Americans, formed the community of Flatwoods in the southwest part of Bokescreek Township. This one-room schoolhouse was built circa 1868 for African American children of Flatwoods and remained open until 1923. Remnants of past lessons remain inscribed on the chalkboard. The schoolhouse was threatened with demolition in 1999 and later moved to Veteran's Park. The Logan County Historical Society owns and maintains the site as a living history museum.
- Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Logan County Commissioners, Bellefontaine Middle School Sixth-Grade Enrichment Class, and The Ohio Historical Society
- NW corner of N Main Street and Lake Avenue
West Mansfield, OH 43358
- Veteran's Park, at the schoolhouse