ALERT December 2021: Marker may be temporarily down due to construction and possible relocation.
- Title, side A
- The Honorable William Lawrence (1819-1899)
- Text, side A
- Born in Mt. Pleasant, Ohio, William Lawrence moved to Bellefontaine shortly after graduating from Cincinnati Law School in 1840. Lawrence was prosecuting attorney for Logan County (1845); a member of the Ohio Legislature (1846, 1847, 1849-51, 1854); Judge of the Common Pleas and Third District Court (1857-1864); colonel, Eighty-fourth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Civil War; United States Congressman (1865-1871, 1873-1877); Founder and President of Bellefontaine National Bank (1871); First Comptroller of the United States Treasury (1880-1885); and original owner of Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve, Hardin County. Judge Lawrence was instrumental in helping Clara Barton found the American Red Cross and served as its first vice president and chairman of the Executive Board.
- Descendants of William Lawrence and The Ohio Historical Society
- 100 E. Columbus Avenue
Bellefontaine, OH 43311
- Up against the Huntington National Bank building, NE corner of Columbus Avenue and Main Street