Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Licking County / 22-45 Early Transportation in Newark [8]

Title, side A
Early Transportation in Newark
Text, side A
During the 1830s, the Ohio & Erie Canal was built through Newark. The Lockmaster's House was home to the lockmaster of Lock No. 9. In 1852, the first railroad locomotive steamed into Newark, signaling the beginning of the end for the canal. By 1871, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad took over the Lockmaster's House and the encompassing land, and built the Little Red House on the corner for the stationmaster and telegraph operator. Passenger and freight stations, a freight yard, and roundhouse were constructed nearby and served as a B&O Division Point. In 1881, the Scheidler Machine Works built a factory to manufacture steam engines and sawmills. This building now houses The Works Museum. In 1890, an electric interurban railway line connected Newark's B&O Station to the Toledo & Ohio Central station in Granville. By 1908, the old canal was filled-in. Interurban service ended in 1929 when the city purchased buses.
Address
55 S 1st Street (The Works Museum)
Newark, OH 43055
Location
Across from The Works Museum at the NE corner of S 1st and E Canal Streets
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.0572940, Longitude: -82.3982710.
Google map: