Home / Henry County / 3-35 Civil War Camp Latty 
- Title, side A
- Civil War Camp Latty
- Text, side A
- Camp Latty was located at the corner of Riverview and Glenwood Avenues in Napoleon, Ohio and included Glenwood Cemetery in its grounds. This camp was named for Judge Alexander S. Latty, a staunch supporter of the Union. From October to December 1861 the 68th Regiment was organized. The 68th Regiment then took part in the Battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, the Siege of Corinth, the Battles of Hatchies's Bridge, Port Gibson, Raymond, Champion Hill, the Siege of Vicksburg, the Meridian Campaign, the Atlanta Campaign, the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, the Battle of Atlanta, the Siege of Atlanta, the Battle of Jonesboro, Sherman's March to the Sea, the Carolinas Campaign, the Battle of Bentonville, the Surrender of Johnston's Army, and the Grand Review in Washington, D.C. The 68th Regiment served in every Confederate State except Florida and Texas. (Continued on other side)
- Text, side B
- (Continued from other side) Robert Kingston Scott became the Colonel of the 68th Regiment in 1862. Scott was with Major General James B. McPherson when McPherson was killed in the Battle of Atlanta. Scott was captured and later exchanged. The 68th Regiment lost a total of 300 men during its service; 2 officers and 48 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 1 officer and 249 enlisted men died of disease. Scott was commissioned as a Brigadier General of Volunteers on January 16, 1865 and received the brevet rank of Major General later that year. Robert K. Scott became Governor of South Carolina in 1868 and served for two terms. Robert K. Scott is buried in the family mausoleum in Glenwood Cemetery. Many veterans of the 68th O.V.I. are buried in Glenwood Cemetery including Dr. John Bloomfield, C.E. Reynolds, and the Regiment's barber, George Valentine.
- Henry County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society
- Ritter Park, West Riverview Ave
Napoleon, OH 43545
- At the easternmost entrance to the park, located just W of Glenwood Avenue.