Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 60-25 Ohio State School for the Blind [7]

Title, side A
Ohio State School for the Blind
Text, side A
In 1835, Dr. William Awl of Columbus and Dr. Daniel Drake of Cincinnati presented recommendations to the Ohio General Assembly to establish a school for the blind. Legislation, signed by then governor of Ohio Duncan McArthur on April 3, 1837, provided funding to create the first state-supported residential school for the blind in the United States. The Institution for the Education of the Blind opened July 4, 1837, with five students. A year later, the first permanent structure, housing 60 students, was built on a nine-acre tract of land on the eastern edge of the city, and that was followed in 1874 with a larger facility near Fulton and Main streets. The school was honored and recognized in 1937 as being one of the finest schools for the blind in the country. In 1953, a new school for the blind was built at its present location at 5220 North High Street.
5220 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43214
5220 North High Street
Latitude: 40.0691346, Longitude: -83.0190195.
Google map: