Home / Hamilton County / 15-31 Greenhills 
- Title, side A
- Text, side A
- Considered a bold experiment in community planning, Greenhills was intended to relieve an acute housing shortage and to provide jobs during the Great Depression. In 1935, the administration of President Franklin Roosevelt authorized the construction of three greenbelt communities: Greendale, Wisconsin; Greenbelt, Maryland; and Greenhills, Ohio. The construction of Greenhills began on December 16, 1935. The project generated thousands of jobs and, ultimately, 676 units of housing for working people. On April 1, 1938, the first Greenhills "Pioneers" moved into homes on Avenell Lane. Greenhills reflects the town planning principles of the English "garden city" movement. Planners clustered homes around a common green space and a community shopping area was within easy walking distance. Like the original greenbelt of forests and farms, today Winton Woods Park serves as a buffer for the Village. The original federally built center of Greenhills was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
- Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Greenhills Community Development Committee, and The Ohio Historical Society
- SW corner of Cromwell Road and Winton Road
Greenhills, OH 45218